Tuesday, February 15, 2011

OKCupid

My friend Jenn always says it's a number game. I agree. I decided to do the online thing again. This time I chose OKCupid.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. --Ben Franklin or was it Albert Einstein or was it Mark Twain or anonymous in a Narcotics Anonymous Handbook? There is great debate on this one, but I digress.

This site is:
  • Free
  • You can be very specific. You can go the gamut from saying you are looking for a one night stand or a monogamous long term relationship.
  • You can set up filters so if someone that doesn't meet your criteria (a smoker for example) will get an email back when they try to contact saying something like, "Thanks for your interest. You don't meet the parameters." I love that because I do think there are some nice guys out there and I wouldn't want to hurt their feelings by not responding. Mainly, it weeds out the freaks.
  • Different in the fact that you answer questions (you choose which ones you want to answer and if you want them published). If someone has answered the same questions, you can see how the other person thinks. They range from ethics, family, politics, relationships, racism--all kinds of things. They also use the questions as a way to determine compatibility. For example, they will put 89% match if most of the questions are similar or something like 56% like I saw today from a guy that was 5'8", smoked and loved NASCAR!
I have a great dating story but I need to be non cracky when I post this one. More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!