Saturday, November 27, 2010

Baby

Jennifer Grey won the dancing show (I don't watch it--I only know from the front of magazines in the checkout line). People always tell me I look like her when she was Baby. I even have a t-shirt with the famous quote on it. It's the reason I came up with the title of my blog (even though I got the exact quote wrong--"Nobody Puts Baby in a Corner":


It's the nose. The same nose that inspired an idiot that I used to work with to say to me, "Penelope, are you Jewish?" Then she followed it up with telling me that when she first met me she thought to herself, "Great, Jeff hired a Jew." I told her I wasn't sure how to respond to that and suggested that she go up to her room to sleep (this was after dinner and she'd had quite a bit of wine). Ugh. She is no longer with the company, but I digress. I am critically Caucasian. That was my first experience with anything like that--it sucked. What if I was Jewish?

Back to the woman that played Baby in Dirty Dancing. Sister has had some work. I used to tell my Mom I wanted a nose job. I would read in Seventeen magazine how to do your makeup to make your nose look thinner (it was bullshit). I would stare at it in the mirror every night. I would look at the side view. It sucked. My Mom used to tell me I would grow into it. She was right. I'm not sure when I came to terms with my nose. Maybe when I was in my mid 20's. 

I don't think Jennifer Grey came to terms with her nose:

3 comments:

  1. She has done more than that with her face. I didn't even recognize her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No she didn't and because of that, her career died. But maybe that is what was meant to happen. Regardless, JJJ was right and you did go into your nose.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!