Sunday, April 10, 2011

iphone + water = DOOM

You may say, "Penelope, why is your iphone in a bowl of uncooked brown rice?" My reply, Dear Reader, would be, "Because I'm a dumb bitch!" Yesterday the sun was shining and my prescriptions were ready. I put Daisy in a fashionable harness. I grabbed her water bottle and a back pack. I put my debit card in a pocket and threw my phone in the bag. We headed to my neighborhood (family owned) pharmacy around the corner. Brad let me bring Daisy in. He petted her and got a dog biscuit. I opened my bag and shrieked. My iphone was marinating in a pool of water. Quickly we dried it off. Brad held Daisy's leash as I jumped to action. I shook it. I cussed. I commented that my drugs must be working because I was not flying into a public tantrum. We agreed I could be in Japan. This was not a big deal. I put the phone in my pocket (where it should have been to start), paid, and Daisy and I headed home. Google "iphone 4 wet" and there are tons of hits. I removed the SIM card (very tough), I shook it some more, I vacuumed the holes to remove any more water, and then put it in a bowl of uncooked rice to soak up the water. She has soaked overnight. I tried to turn her on today. Nothing. I plugged her in to the computer. The Apple symbol flashed mockingly on the screen and was quickly followed by a grinding noise as the screen went blank. I am heading to AT&T first. I have an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar at 2. Here's a comment Polly found on a board about getting iphones fixed after water submersion:


I've already chosen what shirt I'm going to wear...



2 comments:

  1. So how did it work out for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appropriate that the name is "ex genius" since it can't seem to spell worth a damn. I've fallen in the pool before with iPod and phone in my pockets. It is pretty much assured that anything Apple is not going to recover in rice. Cheap shitty phones, maybe, with the help of a hair dryer. Good luck with the boob trick.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!