Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Mick or Keith

I was reading that The Rolling Stones have released a new version of Exile on Main Street with new bonus songs. It made me think about relationships with friends. Some of us are Mick and some are Keith. I've always been the side kick--not the lead singer. I've always been a Keith (except I bathe and I haven't had a heroin habit). Interestingly, that position or role of side kick has been consistent throughout my life and with different friends. In elementary school, my best friend was Angela (she is a blog follower). She was much more outgoing and confident. Kids gravitated to her.  We moved to Gainesville when I was 13 and I had 2 best friends in middle and high school. Ann Reid was the cheerleader, basketball player, track runner and popular girl. I always felt like I was a package deal with her. She would get invited to all the parties and I would go along. Cindy was the find-her-in-the-parking-lot, always-had-a-boyfriend-girl. Everyone knew her (knew her if you get what I'm sayin').

I wonder if you are born a Mick or a Keith? It was so interesting to watch John's boys interact with friends. The oldest was a Keith and one twin was a Mick and the other twin was a Keith. I remember watching the oldest boy approach a popular schoolmate at the mall. It was painful to watch how awkward he was and how the popular kid recoiled. He got more confident as he grew older, but he was never completely comfortable with friends. Conversely, one of the twins was confident out of the womb, while his twin was really shy.


I like being a Keith. Besides, he got to do the Louis Vuitton ad...



7 comments:

  1. I'm definitely a Keith... It's understood and I'm old enough and comfortable enough w/myself to get it, and accept it.

    I was with two new neighborhood friends last night, and we were laughing about how there is this new lady who moved into our neighborhood. I've met her several times (once when she and her daughter came to our door, selling candles for the kid's cheerleading camp.) I've met her at least two other times at the community pool, however the last time I saw her she said, "Have we met?" I reminded her that we had. If she asks me again, I have decided I'm going to play along and say, "why no, we've never met... I'm Debbie and I live way down the street." I'm going to use a new name every time she doesn't 'recognize' me. Maybe that's an advantage to being a Keith...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me think. Though I am a guitarist, relationship and friend wise I would actually consider myself more of a Charlie Watts (or a Ron Wood)... the quiet one in the background who is seldom noticed but would be missed if not there. If that makes ANY sense. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny--I was going to reference other members of the band too. Or other bands' lead singers and guitarists...Steven and Joe, Robert and Jimmy, Bono and The Edge and for Sulie: Simon and Roger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly ... I have always done that though. I am the John Entwhistle of The Who, the John Paul Jones of Zepplin, the Tom Hamilton or Brad Whitford of Aerosmith ... the quiet, unsung members who are only missed once they are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and by the way, I purchased the re-mastered Exile on Main Street and it is OUTSTANDING. One of my all time favorite albums and have had it on CD for years, but sounds very good with the work they put into it. Much like the recent Beatles re-masters. Well worth the re-purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can be a Keith or a Mick depending on who I am with. Does that make me schizophrenic or versatile?
    gbs

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!