Saturday, May 22, 2010

I went on a match.com date...

I was holding out...I didn't tell you all that I had emailed back and forth with one of the few sane men on match. I am kind of superstitious--like when you don't tell anyone you're interviewing for a job. We met last Wednesday for a glass of wine. He is 52 (7 years older than me), divorced for 2 years, has 3 grown daughters and works in the legal field. We agreed not to talk on the phone. I've found when I did match last year that it works best just to meet at Starbuck's or for a quick drink. You talk on the phone, the guy sounds great and then you meet someone that doesn't look like his picture and has stank breath (true story). And there is the whole voice thing. I spoke to SOB on the phone first. He has a very unmasculine voice that totally turned me off (should have listenend to my gut...), same thing with Spencer (he sounded totally faggy (again, should have listened to my gut...). But then again, John had a great voice and he is a sociopath.

Let me do a quick walk down Internet dating memory lane. These fine stories are from when I dabbled with match and eharmony in early 2008.

  • Large, Stank Breath Guy: Don't remember his name. Great on paper, EXCEPT his 2 boys lived out of state with their Mom. I now know that is a red flag for me. He was funny and smart on the phone. Very cute in pictures (yeah, because they were at least 10 years and 50 pounds prior). We met at Flemings. He was late because he got lost (he was new to the area). He was in a minor rage at himself for getting lost. I told him it was okay and then I smelled the breath...I gulped my wine fast. This is funny--I think I blocked it out until now. SOB was coming over after 0900 pm and I needed to get home!  Never saw stank boy again...
  • No Eye Contact Starbuck's Guy: This guy is hot. He had e-mailed me a few times and we talked on the phone. He was cocky. I ignored his emails. He pursued. I was bored. I met him at Starbuck's. He lives in St. Pete and was in Tampa for business off of Hillsborough Ave. He asked me where there was a Starbuck's close by. I sent him the address. We met. He kept complaining because he thought it was "in the hood." The whole time his eyes were looking over my shoulder or past my head. I gulped my O.J., smiled and said I had to get back to work. He texted me later and said, :so what do you think?". I replied, "I think you were really distracted." Never saw No Eye Contact Starbuck's Guy again...until, I just saw last week that he viewed my profile on match. He has been blocked...
  • The Cat Whisperer: Okay, this one was a HOT POCKET. We went to MacDinton's for drinks. Good voice, good breath, good body. We made out in the parking lot (I was damaged--don't judge me!). We made a date for the following Friday night. We went to Royal Thai. They all know me there. When I went to the bathroom, Tap, the owner said in her Asian accent, "Penelope, he soooo good looking!" We "saw" each other quite a few times. I had a double feature the first night I saw him. We made out (just kissing, mind you) and then I saw SOB later. My sister and I laughed about that one. I ran home and did a costume change and I was ready for the second show...the reason for the name was he would get on the floor naked (post doing it) and talk to my cats). They loved him. One time I walked into my bedroom and all I see is his balls dangling and he's baby talking to May. He was too good looking (there is such a thing) and very neurotic (he'd straighten my pictures, make my bed {freakishly weird} and would constantly tell me things I needed to do to my house). He texted me about 6 months ago. I didn't respond...
  • Boring University of Tampa Professor: He bored me. Nuff said...
So, as for the date the other night. I think it went well. We laughed a lot, never had a lull in the conversation and his voice was good. I still have an age hang up that I need to address with my shrink. He is 7 years older than me. He works out, rides his bike, dives and is in good shape. It's not like he came to the date wearing Depends™! He said he would like to see me again. I'll see what happens. I left for Key Largo the next day for a work meeting. I haven't heard from him and I am not sure if that is a bad sign. My work buddy E told me it may take a few days and that the guy may be playing it cool. E is also married and has been with his lovely wife for 20 years. He don't know shit about dating but I do need to blog about him. He is one of the GOOD guys. Stay tuned for that one!

2 comments:

  1. Those stories are priceless! As far as this guy is concerned, he is probably just playing it cool. You would have felt it if there was a bad vibe. And I know easier said than done, but try not to stress about the age. If I were single, I would date all older guys. Younger ones annoy me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same about younger women Sandy, and I have yet to be proven wrong. I should start listening to myself more. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!