Sunday, March 20, 2011

Is Confidence in Women Cultural?

Sulie and I went to see Lauryn Hill at the House of Blues last week. I used to LOVE her. She now resembles Whitney Houston. That's another post. This one is about body image.

Penelope Disclaimer: I am making observations. This is in no way meant to be racist.

I noticed that all of the black women at the concert were working it. It did not matter what size or shape. They stood tall and were proud. There were no slumped shoulders. Everyone was smiling. I wondered if they measured their food, stared at the scale or berated themselves when they looked in the mirror. I don't think so. Sulie said she thought it was cultural. I wonder if there is a different message given to little girls. One that instilled more confidence. 

I am not the only one that thinks it. I just Googled it and look at the hits:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!