Sunday, March 27, 2011

Reading you teen's texts

Okay, we've covered reading your spouse/boyfriend's/girlfriend's texts. Here is a new one...
do you have the right as a parent to randomly pick up your kid's phone and read the texts? 

Penelope Votes HELLS YES!
  • As a parent you're #1 job is to protect your child
  • I was once a 16 year old girl that snuck Jimmy in through my window at 0100am so we could fuck (until that nosey dickhead Mr.Toohey that lived behind us saw and told my Mom...)
  • They are still kids. Judgment isn't all there yet. Brain scans of teens have proven this. 
  • You are keeping them from doing stupid shit or being aware before stupid shit happens and offering condoms, a ride home or just plain old advice.
  • And last and least--you pay for the phone. It was purchased for safety and calls for rides. Not "hey I can't wait to blow you again."
I am not an asshole. I am also not a parent. John and I used to intermittently check the boys' phones. We told them it was always a possibility. 

One of my Mom friends just had an experience with this. Her child had written a couple of texts that indicated devirginization was on the horizon. She stopped reading And chose to have The Talk™ again and purchased condoms. Long story, short, the mother of the other teen picked up their child's phone and texted, "I had a great time last night." Friend's child responded (thinking it was their young love) with graphic details. Now other teen's mother has forbidden them to see each other ever again.

Great, now we have Romeo and Juliet with a 2011 flair. Other mother sucked. She crossed the line.

Teenagers are going to fuck. I know. I did. The point is to arm them with protection, information and do everything you can to not provide a place for them to do it!

Penelope out.

1 comment:

  1. I agree!!! Now granted, I am not qualified as I have no children. But I truly believe that your bodies are far ahead of your brains when you are a teen. Kudos to your friend for having the difficult talk with her kid.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!