Sunday, April 18, 2010

Getting back on the Horse

Okay, I've done it again. I'm on match.com. One of my friends from Phoenix was down here for spring break last week. We met for lunch.  She's the same age as me and a single Mom. She does the same kind of work as me and finds it challenging to meet guys. She shared with me that she thought she was done with dating (a thought I've had off and on over the last couple of years). She worked through all the stuff after her divorce and decided to try Internet dating. She has been dating a guy for 2 years that she met online. Her now boyfriend sent her a message on match. She liked the email (polite, funny, spell check utilized), but he did not have a picture posted. She wrote back, "What, are you so good looking that you can't post a picture?"  He wrote back a funny reply and they went back and forth a few times. He told her he didn't feel comfortable posting his photo because of his job as a FBI agent (that would be a red flag to me...). He then asked her to dinner and emailed her his photo. Thankfully he was handsome (and not lying). They met at the restaurant (safety first) and hit it off. He sounds like a great guy and he is wonderful to my friend's son.

There were a couple of lessons for me in my friend's story.
  1. To have an open mind--I would have immediately thought this guy was not on the up and up (no picture, FBI agent).
  2. There are nice guys out there.
  3. Her attitude about the whole thing. She had a lot of weirdoes contact her too. She just deleted them and moved on.

So I decided to try it again. I will admit my recent brush with liars has made me a bit gun shy. I do like a challenge. I am going to get back on the Internet dating horse. Besides, it gives me great fodder for my blog. I already have at least 3 good stories. More later.

1 comment:

  1. Cool! I can live vicariously through you then. I hope you can easily sift through the freaks and find a good one. I know they are out there, but they hide.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!