Sunday, April 18, 2010

Life in the Fast Lane

Do you ever wonder how annoying habits start? I think we all start completely innocent and free from annoying habits. And then something horrible happens...it may start as a occasional occurrence. Then the occasional becomes more frequent. Then it is a full blown annoying habit. I have one in the infant stages right now. I have a choice and I am choosing to stop it. It all started as a way to protect myself. I had back surgery a couple of years ago. My surgeon told me to NEVER bend over from the waist again. Do you have any idea how many times a day a person bends over from the waist? I've had to relearn 40+ years of how I pick things up from the floor. So what do I do that is annoying? I started to make a noise when I caught myself bending over the wrong way. It's kind of a combo of "aghhhh" and "Noooooo". As you can imagine it is weird, creepy and all around annoying. It does make me stop what I am doing (bending over in a way that is not good for my spine) and it does make me sound like a freak. My sister started to notice it and kindly told me, "stop!" I noticed I do it more when I am stressed out (like now). At least I am aware.

How many people are in our lives that do annoying things that probably started as a kind of self protective mechanism? There was an individual I used to know that would do this funky, repetitive bending of his wrist when he was nervous. It drove me BONKERS. I knew it was something he did to distract himself, but it was weird. My older sister (who is not in my life anymore) would say, "Life in the fast lane" as a kind of filler in conversation or after she told a story or out of the blue. Can I tell you how many hours of comedy that expression provided for me and Sulie. We still say it at inappropriate times to crack each other up.

So next time you are thinking to yourself, "God, that person is so annoying!!!", pause and think about how all those annoying habits probably came into being...and then make fun of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!