Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Banana

I had to get clothes for my meeting.  I berated myself because I could see all the wardrobe boxes in a storage room in Louisiana.  I put on jeans and a t-shirt and headed to the Banana Republic.  I started to look at clothes.  The store started to close in around me. My heart started to race.  Why am I having to buy new clothes? Why am I starting over at 42?  What was I thinking?  Fuck.  All the pants were 100 bucks or more.  I went to the sale rack.  There's a cute top--oh yeah, I already have it.  I like those pants--oh yeah, there are in a wardrobe box in storage.  I took a deep breath and walked to the counter.  A cute guy that was obviously gay (I say that with love) asked if he could help?  I asked if there was a female sales associate on?  He said, "yes, but she's at dinner.  Can I help you?"  I started to spew, "my husband cheated on me and I had to leave and I don't have any clothes for work and I don't know what to do."  You should have seen his face!  He deftly handed me a kleenex box and ran.  Out came Maria.  She was 9 months pregnant.  She put her arm around me and took me to a dressing room.  She sat me down with my Kleenex box.  She said, "let's see--you wear an 8 or 10 and medium tops, right?"  I nodded.  She came back with tons of outfits from the sales rack.  I stopped crying and started trying on.  We decided on 4 outfits.  All on SALE!  As I exited the dressing room I said to her, "he cheated on me."  She said, "I know--10 years ago I left Pensacola with just a suitcase for the same reason."  She pointed at her stomach and said, "This is baby number 2 with a great guy".  She went on to say, "you don't know it now,but you will be fine."  She hugged me after I paid.  I went into the Banana a month later.  I had a baby gift.  She had a healthy baby girl.

9 comments:

  1. Okay, this is the first post that made me cry. Not really for me--for Maria. Another angel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It made me cry also. Thank god for the compassionate, funny how just the right people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Note to self read twice before posting. i hadn't finished comment. So for clarification:

    It made me cry also. Thank god for the compassionate, funny how just the right people appear in your life when you need them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. There were so many. Like the movers that did doughnuts in the yard while yelling "yousa going be okay Cheri". I wish I could convey how Cajuns say "Cheri" in their patois. It sounds like Shaaaa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny, this one seems to have moved many of us. I can picture you in the dressing room...and I can feel the desperation. How empowering the kindness of others can be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank goodness for the maria's in the world - I never know what to say or how to act when people break down. You were one of my Maria's you know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we are all Maria's at different times in our lives. It says "anonymous" but I think this is Cherry...you were a Maria to me when I was so sad, got laid off, had back surgery and I was still stuck in the muck with him. You made me laugh during PT. Recall the humor of strengthening exercises on all fours?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maria = Angel. They seem to appear when we need them most. Reading this post was like watching a video. I cried. A very brief moment of salvation. Maria earned her wings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny how this is also the first time I was brought to tears with your blog. In my recent breakup experience I had similiar things happen, people just somehow can feel your pain and reach out. I'm thankful for my own angels in my life...most of who didn't or don't know me all that well but helped lift me up more so much.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!