Friday, February 19, 2010

Giving the Greenlight

I had mentioned that Polly and her friend were launching an unique dating site. I got a question about it from one of you all tonight about it.  

It is called Greenlight Card:

One of the big bummers with Internet dating is (I speakth from experienceth) you email with the person, you talk on the phone and he/she seems great, you arrange a meeting....you get to Starbuck's and the chemistry is nothing! The concept with Greenlight Card is you purchase a membership. You enter your contact info (for example I put  my gmail address). You control who you contact. I was telling some nurses about it today (Penelope was supposed to be selling something else, instead I am acting out Greenlight for them). My scenario was I am walking through Publix and I notice a hottie by the bakery. He smiles. I smile. We walk on. I see him again on aisle 2 while I am selecting pasta. He smiles. I smile. We meet again in produce. I deftly pull out my Greenlight Card and hand it to him as we are selecting the perfect bunch of bananas.

See that it says greenlightcard.com on one side and the other side explains that they have been given the "greenlight." The instructions tell the recipient to go to the website and they enter the number (your cards have a unique number that is linked to only you). The recipient will then get your contact info you entered (you can put your cell number and/or email in) emailed or texted to them. They do not have to pay or register in any way. A membership is $99/year. The member is the person with the cards. You get 25 cards as a starter and you can reorder cards (you can reorder 25 cards for 25 bucks). There is no need to worry about how many members exist because you control who you are giving the card. It is up to you to get out there and expose yourself (not literally) to people. I can't tell you how many times I texted Polly to say "I need a Greenlightcard" last summer while they were getting the website ready. The airport, my UPS guy, in Nordstrom's, at Publix...the list goes on and on. Notice I did not list a bar?

The nurses I was talking to today loved the idea. We talked about how it is scary to start a conversation and give your number. I told them that when I used to travel all the time I would be anxious about giving my business card since it had lots of info. This is much more discreet and classy.

I have not seen anyone worthy of the Greenlight yet. I will keep you all posted. What I like is the fact that I will select who I feel that spark with vs. meeting a guy that is 20 lbs heavier than his profile picture and he has his sister write his emails for him!

2 comments:

  1. Penelope . . .What a great concept. Like turbo flirting. Love it. I spend way more than the $99 p/year (which amounts to the cost of one Appletini p/month!) on dating related expenses. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea. I will check the website to see what people are saying about it after if gets off the ground...by then I will be ready to start dating again...

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!