Saturday, February 13, 2010

Random Thoughts About Valentine's Day

I have friends that say, "Oh no, it's Valentine's and I don't have one." I just read one of my guy friends' status on Facebook that said essentially the same thing. I talked to Sulie this morning and she had just received a flower delivery--a dozen red carnations from a guy that has coveted her from a far (I mean Kentucky) for I don't remember how many years now. (It is unrequited coveting in case you're wondering). We were supposed to go to Skipper's tonight and see Halycon play. For the non Tampa readers, Skipper's Smokehouse is a great place to go hear bands play. It is an outdoor venue. It has been unseasonably cold down here. I told her I didn't know if my cracker ass could take standing in the cold. I checked the website and it said that they have propane heaters. Sidebar--Halycon has a STRONG lesbian following (they are really good and I guess you could say they are Indigo Girlish. You get my drift)  I texted Sulie:

Being in the  cold on Valentine's weekend with lonely lesbians = Creepy 

Sulie replies: 

No offense, you are a catch, but I don't want anyone to think you're my bitch.

Penelope disclaimer: No offense to my lesbian friends.  Being in the cold on Valentine's weekend with lonely anybody = creepy.

Several years ago, Sulie and I went up to N.C. for Thanksgiving. We stayed in B&Bs. She was so convinced the B&B owners and other guests thought we were gay. It was so funny. At breakfast I made a point of making it clear we were sisters to ease her anxiety. I'm not sure why she thought people thought we were gay. It may have been my shoes. I think I wore hiking boots that trip.

Valentine's is like the prom or New Year's Eve.  Lots of expectations and no return. I remember bringing in the shoe box in 3rd grade to decorate as your Valentine's mailbox. Mrs. Strickland made us give a Valentine to EVERYONE. She shielded us from the pain of exclusion for another year. I recall showing my Dad the Valentine's I had received. He told me a little girl gave him one when he was in grade school. He smiled as he remembered the card--it had girl with a big carrot. It said "Do you Carrot all for me?" That would have been in the mid 1930s. Hallmark and the like had already begun the big Valentine's marketing during the Great Depression! 

I just typed it "do you carrot for me" in Google. I found a vintage card on eBay!:


Here is a screen shot of the inside:


It is $6.47 for the card. I'm going to order it and frame it. I have so few memories of my Dad since he died when I was so young (Even more so for Sulie--she was 9).

1 comment:

  1. I have to say, even if it sounds like I am patting myself on the back, that I did quite well with the Valentine giftie I purchased for someone. It was thought out WELL in advance (no last minute stuff for this guy) and planned perfectly.

    Just FYI also, Hiking Boots on Women = HOT. At least to me. But I have strange tastes! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!