Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Being Memorable

I have this belief that people don't remember. I am always amused when someone does recognize me after several years. I know, I know, Penelope, you may need to make that shrinkola appointment real soon...

I called a guy yesterday that had gone through a training class I conducted with my team a few years ago at an old job. He now works for the company that I just interviewed with (Yes--That would be Red Flag Lady). I started my call with "Hey Phil, it's Penelope Web, not sure if you remember me..." We started to talk about my prep for the interview and he gave me his thoughts. As we were winding down he said, "Tell me know name again?"  I busted out laughing and said, "Penelope Web, I was a sales training manager. He said, "Yeah, the brunette--about 5'10"?" I laughed and said I'm 5'7" but I do wear heels all the time. I said, "I was the funny one." and he replied, "oh yes, you were!"  So I'm really tall and funny to that guy.

A couple of months ago I was in a clothing store and a woman came up to me and said, "is your name Penelope?". I said yes and we realized she had bartended while I waited tables at a Bennigan's circa 1985. Her memory of me was that she would throw ice at me from the bar all the time. One time she hit me and I fell on the ground behind the wait station. She ran from the bar to check on me and I had taken ketchup (prepared ahead of time) and had it on my forehead like blood. I actually laid down in shorts on a stank ass Bennigan's nasty carpeted floor. She said the place was full and customers were dying laughing. She also said she remembered me working all the time (this was true) and that I was always kinda sad (that was during the creepy abusive boyfriend time). So I'm not afraid of skank on the floor and I'm funny, but sad to Julie from Bennigan's. 

There is a flip side to this--how about when you meet someone several times and they say "Great to meet you!" every time? I loathe that. Earlier this month I was introduced to a director from New York for the millionth time. He said, "Penelope, I've heard great things about you. Great to finally meet you." I was a bit edgy, I smiled, shook his hand and said, "Great, I think this is the third time we've met" and smiled like a wacko as I walked away.

1 comment:

  1. I am horrible at remembering people, so usually when I am introduced to someone, I say "Oh I think we've met before! Great to see you again!". Then they question themselves if they are just not remembering ME!

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!