Monday, October 18, 2010

What's Your High Point?

I stopped at my niece's house on the way back from Fort Lauderdale today. Her husband and older son were out--it was just me, Jackie and her 3 year old Max. We were talking and laughing as we ate fish tacos. Max looked at me and said in his cute little voice, "What was your high point?" I looked at Jackie and she explained that they discuss their "high points" at dinner every night. I had a job interview today and I told Max how my high point was talking to a lady about a new job. He wanted to know if I did "indoor or outdoor work". There's a story there--the last time I saw Max I asked about school. He had just started preschool a couple of days a week. He exclaimed, "it is awesome!". I asked, "what do you do at school Max?" He replied, "I do indoor work and outdoor work." Apparently the teacher defines play as work and they do it inside or outside. I recall a child development concept we had engrained in our brains for pediatrics--"Play is the Work of the Child."

Max looked at me kind of confused when I tried to explain my job interview. I asked if I could change my high point. He said yes. I told him my high point was seeing him and getting his and his brother's new school pictures to take home.  He beamed.

So I ask you--What's your High Point?

4 comments:

  1. The fact there are preschools that believe in play as child's work is a high point for me. They are few and far between these days as programs try to squeeze what were kindergarten standards into the pre-k environment, all in the name of education, so your story was a high point. Thanks -- as an Early Ed/Child Dev person. On a personal "high point" --- I have two this week. My work sponsors an early education conference and one of the male teachers attending (yes, male -- yeah for him) was a former student at the preschool I served as the director late early to mid 90s. He started with us as an infant and left after "graduating" pre-k. He told me one of the reasons he went into early ed is because his experience was so awesome....and he remembers having a male teacher (yes, back in the early 90s - I hired a man, mostly unheard of, and I had to get permission from the corporate office, as this was onsite child care for a local college and hospital, but given the kids and parents reactions as they grew to love and bond with this teacher, you would think I employed a superhero) and that made him think was "cool" to work with little children. His twin brother is following in mom's footsteps and is studying nursing, so this was double awesome. As for "me" -- I am mom to an almost 12 year old boy who shared with me this weekend he was "getting hair THERE" and that was a high point, because of the fact it shows his trust and faith in me, to share something potentially embarrassing due to the standards of today's society. I hope my K always has the ability to speak openly with me. Thanks for "high" lighting "high points" and making us remember they can be the simplest moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's not talk about today. I would love to say tomorrow that my high point was my son winning his football playoff game. If me, the annoying stage mom can get past that, I will be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My high point today was when I met a manager I work with, he said I was a breath of fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah for Sulie!
    we do that too in my family. but we do "highs and lows" it's fun and with kids you find out all kinds of stuff that you wouldn't normally know :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!