Monday, October 18, 2010

Red Flags in an Interview

I had an interview this afternoon. I researched the company, called a couple of the reps know from past jobs that work there, suited up and had my resume and book full of achievements ready for action. The recruiter told me the hiring manager had just been promoted and this was her first time hiring. We met at a hotel in the lobby. As we sat down she reached for her bag and looked up at me and said, "do you have..."  I completed her sentence and said, "a copy of my resume?" as I handed it to her. Her forehead scrunched up as she read through it. She told me that this interview would be a get to know you, introductory interview that would last about 30-40 minutes. I sat quietly as she scanned my resume. I realized she was seeing it for the first time. She told me she had printer issues. She smiled as she saw a couple of companies she seemed to like and said I see you're a nurse...I asked, "would it be helpful if I briefly walked you through my resume?" She smiled gratefully and said, "yes!" I whipped through it with dazzling stories of how I went from nursing to sales and the various accomplishments over the years. I knew they were looking for someone clinical (check), a proven sales record (check) and who had relationships with the hospitals and surgeons (check). We reviewed my sales numbers from my present job and she commented on what I had done in less than a year in the territory. I noticed her glimpse at her watch. I said, "I know we are getting to the end of the interview, is there anything else I can share with you?". She said no. I then said, "do you feel like my skills match what you are looking for at _____ company?" She smiled and said, "I don't see an Red Flags."

People, what does that mean? She didn't think I had committed any felonies lately? I smiled as we stood up and thought to self, "Self, does the fact that she used the term red flag have secret celestial job interview meaning?" Self said in reply, "nah, she's new and she just used the wrong phrase."

I normally walk out of these things knowing I will get a call back. This one...I don't know. I would be as equally surprised with a call back or a call from the recruiter saying they decided to pass.

3 comments:

  1. You would be her first hire and she did not prepare by reading your resume? I would have to wonder why she was promoted? Obviously, without much training or she would not use the words, "red flags". Maybe given the meaning red flags has in your life, it is a reverse message and you should keep sending out those resumes. I still can't get over her meeting you and not having a resume copy. I have created a position in my department recently and have several internal candidates, and I have assigned homework, field work, cross development overviews, a presentation and more as part of the two week long interview process....and have thoroughly read each resume and one of the candidates works in one of my service areas and the other in a closely related department so to me....this person has NO excuse whatsoever for her inability to prepare. Was her "open document" disabled as well as her printer? Yikes. Lack of professionalism makes me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you did everything right. Frankly, I just think she isn't the brightest bulb. That was really an obnoxious thing to say. And if you don't get the call back, my justification would be that if this company puts someone like that in charge of recruiting talent, then there could be dark days down the road!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally heard back from the recruiter last week--the hiring mgr said she liked me but I was overqualified...

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!