Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Dementors

I've never gotten into the Harry Potter books. I have started the first one no less than 3 times. I have numerous friends and family members that LOVE the books. I've wondered what is wrong with me? Why don't I get it? I just watched a fabulous interview with J. K. Rowling on Oprah. She was articulate and genuine and I really want to read her books. 

She spoke about characters in the books called "The Dementors" (fans of HP, please forgive me if I get the names or descriptions wrong). It sounds like they represent all that is evil. She made some parallels between The Dementors  and depression. She talked about being clinically depressed years ago when she was recently divorced. She said she knew she had to get help so she could be there for her daughter. Oprah asked her if she had any regrets. Jo (her real name) said no. She said that she would get married and do it all again because the end result was her daughter. It was a really great interview. 

In a previous post I talked about a "what if" list (I'm still going to start one). I don't want it to be full of regrets. Just "what if"? What if J.K. Rowling was never married to the jerk guy, and wasn't pushed into poverty and depression? Would the books have ever been written?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!