Sunday, October 17, 2010

Mark Twain was the first blogger

I watched a thing on Mark Twain this morning. His autobiography is coming out 100 years after his death (his wishes). He would dictate daily notes...thus the first blogger. One of the experts on Mark Twain said he had a soft heart and that he would say awful things about people, but would hate to see them when they heard what he said. He would censor his written work because he was afraid to offend his audience. Believe it or not, I do that too... I avoid politics (Christine O'Donnell is a fucking wackjob) and religion for just that reason. Interestingly enough, stories about cheating and ManGrooming™ brings people together!


Some of my favorite Mark Twin quotes that pertain to subjects I've blogged about: Chastity, Love, Youth, Manners and Temptation:

Chastity--you can carry it too far.
- Mark Twain in Eruption; also found in Simplified Alphabet speech

When you fish for love, bait with your heart, not your brain
- Notebook, 1898

The elastic heart of youth cannot be compressed into one constrained shape long at a time.
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer


Good breeding consists in concealing how much we think of ourselves and how little we think of the other person.
- Notebook, 1898


It is easier to stay out than get out.
- Following the Equator, Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!