Friday, October 22, 2010

Chiquita

Tomorrow is the big breast cancer walk. This week is when everything has been getting down to the wire. We had a meeting on Tuesday and we were told that we still needed 1000 bananas as snacks for the walkers.  One of the corporate sponsors was backing out. I played the old boyfriend card. Years ago, in another Penelope dimension, I dated a regional director for Chili's. We lived together when I was a new nurse. We looked at rings. We spoke about getting married.  He wanted me to be the little corporate wife (I was 28). He would buy me clothes (just talked about this today--that's another blog). I don't know how we ended up together. He was very uptight and a workaholic. We broke up because he was in love with someone else (I didn't know this when he suggested that I move into my own place). Ahh...memories.

Back to the bananas. We needed 1000 bananas and I used to get the banana from a big cheese at Chili's. What to do? I called the regional office and asked for him. The admin told me he was out of town and asked if I would like to leave a message. I quickly explained I was an old "friend" and described the critical need for the breast cancer walk. She told me she would get the message to him. I then wrote an email and guessed on his email (I did 3 emails addresses) and 1 of them went through. Long story short he got a produce vendor to donate 750 bananas!

He was really nice in email and I will write a handwritten thank you just like Momma taught me. I'm proud that I can call or email most of my exes to say hi or to ask for help. My ex husband (the nice one, #1) called me yesterday and left a message. He was driving by the place where my Mom used to live and he said it made him smile and he just wanted to tell me he thought about her.

Whenever I think of a rotten banana (so rotten that you can't even use it for banana bread), I need to remember the good ones in the bunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!