Thursday, July 1, 2010

Bad things happening to good people

My sister was let go from her job this week. She stood up for what she believed on several occasions (she is an accountant) and the CEO didn't like it. Sulie is asleep in my bed right now (with a cute dog next to her). It is like a death. She is exhausted--she has been questioning herself, worried what people are saying and wondering if she should have done things differently. It kills me to see her in so much pain. You know The Punisher™ wants to come out. I have visions of packing up Daisy's shit in a box and FedExing it to the C-U-Next-Tuesday that did this. Instead I have been providing round the clock Xanax and humor. I do know that Sulie will land on her feet and get a fabulous job and the cretins at that place will all go down (it is a not for profit that has questionable ethics). I ask all my peeps in blog land to pray, think good thoughts, meditate (whatever it is you do), good thoughts for Sulie. She has an interview tomorrow and is in the running for another position (she had been out there looking prior to this week). 

It makes me ponder that question we all think about--What do shitty things happen to good people? Is it part of a plan? I know it is my sister's journey, but why? It is just like when Bob Nobles used to make fun of her when we were in kindergarten and she was in preschool. I want to kick a mutha fucka's ass. I will keep The Punisher™ at bay and hold Sulie in my highest thoughts.

If any of you all have experience interviewing after being let go, could you please give comments or advice. You can comment anonymously or send me an email. Even if it is anecdotal friend-of-a-friend stories. Sulie is dreading the "have you been terminated question". She did nothing wrong, but there is a stigma associated with the word "terminated". Thank you all.

4 comments:

  1. I wasn't terminated from my last position but did leave on not so good terms due to a situation where my direct supervisor and I disagreed on an ethics questions (I felt we should hold providers accountable for the money they spend ... she didn't) so I left before really thinking it though very well. I found that when asked why I left my last position the best response it to be truthful as much as you can be. My pat answer became "I had an issue with my previous supervisor over how to handle a budget disparity and felt I could not remain in the position". That seemed to work.

    I am so sorry for Sulie and this situation. It sucks. It is soul damaging, but she has good friends and a great sister. She'll end up in a better place. I HAVE to believe that eventually good people come out on top.

    If there is ANYTHING I can do to help, please let me know. I am scouring the job sites I frequent for her right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of thoughts on the way. What kind of loosers they must be to fire Sullie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I can offer much advice. She has to be careful that even though she left for the right reasons (she has to be able to live with herself), she can't say anything slanderous about her old boss. But I know where she is coming from. I am a CPA and at my last job I was asked to do many things that were a click and a number away from being illegal. I ended up leaving of my own accord and never looked back. Bastards. I would rather scrub toilets and break up my kids' fights any day rather than work for Corporate America ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone...Sandy, no worries, I do not intend upon slandering anyone. That is not how I roll. I know that bigger, better things are in the works for me. I am so thankful for my friends, my furry children, Penelope's furry children and most of all, Penelope. I have no idea what I would have done without her.

    Sulie

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!