Thursday, July 29, 2010

Passion and Perceptions

Do what you love. Find your passion. How many times have I heard that? How many of us really do that? I can't tell you how many of my friends have called me and talked about wanting to make a career change (ironically most of my friends are in sales or medicine). I have really been struggling with not loving what I do. It's not the company--it's the people I interact with on a day to day basis. I deal with lots of negativity. My customers are burned out and overworked. I know these people are not following their passion. I often daydream of telling one of them to fuck off. You'll know it is me if you see a news clip on CNN of a woman in a dress with cute shoes pummeling a hospital pharmacist...

How great is it to be able to do something you love and make a living? What do I love to do? Write this blog. Volunteer time for The American Cancer Society. Read books. Get drunk with my sissie and niece while staying in a nice hotel that we got at a bargain on Priceline® and make up songs about crazy family members and video tape the results. That sentence structure just sucked and I am aware...

Yesterday I met with a clinical director at one of the hospitals I cover. Somehow we started to talk about all the different things we have done in our nursing careers (she one was of the rare kind customers I've seen lately). The conversation lead to following your passion. She and her husband love to read. They poured their life savings into opening a bookstore that specializes in first editions and signed books. It is in a small beach community on the west coast of Florida. How cool is that? She was lovely. I wonder how many people meet me and think "Ugh, here's another sales rep..." I know I do it about them--thoughts like, "Ugh, another pompous ass..." Meeting her made me think about it differently. Tomorrow I have an appointment with yet another director of a busy hospital pharmacy. I'm going to adjust my preconceived notions about him before we meet. He may be very interesting, a great family man, a funny guy. If not I will make his ass into a cartoon.  I'll report back...

2 comments:

  1. I don't think very many people get to do work they love. It is the one hope I have for my children. I was lucky to be able to STOP working for a place that was slowly killing me, and being able to do my thing without having the pressure of making money. But I still give myself a reality check, and force myself to consider what I would do if I had to go back to work. I don't have that answer off the top of my head, but it would have to be something to do with books I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Report back--the guy was respectful, receptive to what I said and the meeting went well. He will not becomes a cartoon!

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!