Saturday, July 24, 2010

I am overwhelm

I usually have something playing in the background when I blog. Tonight it is concert.tv.HD.  I have Mary J. Blige on. I love her. I started listening to her in the early 90s. I remember making a tape (yes--a cassette tape) for a nursing assistant I worked with in an ICU. Her name was Shylonda. She was so sweet. She loved Mary J. Blige. Shylonda would talk to patients about music. One night one of the nurses overheard her ask a patient, "Why kind of music do you like?" (at 0200 a.m. while the patient was on huge doses of morphine). The patient sat up and said, "Country I guess!"

Shylonda came in one night and told us she was pregnant. Her husband was a 11 pm-7 am security guard at the same hospital. As her due date grew near we planned a surprise baby shower. On the baby shower night Shylonda went on break (with her hubby--he was in on it). We decorated the nurse's station and got out all her gifts. We had a stroller as the big gift and we all got her the typical little gifts. It was her first baby and all the Mom's gave her tips. Shylonda kept saying, "I am overwhelm". It was so cute.

Every time I listen to MJB I think of Shylonda. I am overwhelm.



3 comments:

  1. If I could take this opening to talk about someone I recently discovered that I know has been around awhile that I jsut find amazing. P!ink. I watched her Funhouse DVD on iTunes ... what an amazing and sexy entertainer she is. I was dumbfounded. If you like her at all, even a little bit, check that concert out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love P!NK too. There is a Behind the Music on her that they are playing on VH1. She's good people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite Mary J moment is when she and Bono/U2 sang "One" together at the Grammy's. That was so awesome! Two awesome voices - one awesome song. I love how music can automatically put you in a good mood when you listen to it!

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!