Thursday, July 1, 2010

Living Unconscious

I have been watching the series that Oprah has done on the Debt Diet (I suspect it has a ™). She has made the comment that people are going through life unconscious. 2 weeks ago I watched one of the shows and got up and cleaned out my closet. I am embarrassed to tell you how many pairs of jeans I own. And white t-shirts. And black heels. And purses, LAWD, the purses. 10 pairs of black dress pants. 2 dresses with the tags still on them. I realized I am one of the unconscious ones! Don't get me started on the bathroom drawer. I have creams and lotions that promise dewy skin and happiness. Enough hair products to style a nation.

Oprah talked about trying to fill the void. I was horrified. Am I trying to fill the void with my True Religions (not a real religion, but a sassy brand of jeans)? Am I worshipping at the Temple of MAC? I realized I have used the expressions "retail therapy" and talked about buying a little "pick me up". OMG...who AM I?

I pimped slapped myself and cleaned out my closet and bathroom drawers. I put aways Daisy's various harnesses and leases (she's been living unconsciously too). 

Next time I am at the store and I go to buy another:
  • Black purse, shoes, pants or top
  • Pair of jeans
  • White t-shirt or any kind of top
  • Dress for work
  • Short nightie
  • Moisturizer
I give each and every one of you the permission to pinch me.

Consciously yours,

Penelope

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! I am actually a frequent purger. Sort of the opposite of retail therapy. I do tend to go through the white shirts, but between my sloppy cooking and just living in sweaty Florida, I throw them out after about 3 to 6 months and get another. I have two pairs of jeans. About six purses, maybe eight. I wear my gel comfort Nike flip flops every day (black or brown depending on color of my clothes). I think I NEED to get on this retail bandwagon. I live like a spartan.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!