Monday, July 5, 2010

Music Instead of Speeches

I watched a piece on CBS News Sunday Morning yesterday--it was about sending musicians to diplomatic hot spots. In the 50's, Duke Ellington and Dizzy Gillespie played in other countries. In the 80's, Dave Brubeck was in Moscow during the summit with Reagan and Gorbachev.They showed a modern day hip hop  band, Chen Lo playing in Syria recently. They interviewed Hillary Clinton (sister needs some under eye cream,but I digress...)  She said there are times when music conveys American values better than a speech. Wynton Marseilles said the musicians represent the people vs. the government. 

Next time I really want to make a point I'm going to get out my ipod. 

1 comment:

  1. Sister...I agree. Music is the great communicator. I listened to Big Mama today and then moved on to a song on my iphone that I forgot I had... "I'm Alive". It felt good.

    On another note...Wynton Marsalis is one man I would love to break bread with...what a talent and he gives back.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!