Saturday, July 10, 2010

Facebook Friends

I have said this before and I will say it again--technology freaks me out. I was just on Facebook looking at all the suggestions for friends. You know how it lists people that are friends with your friends and assumes you may know each other. There really are 4 categories in my book:

  1. Yay!--I'm glad I found this friend
  2. They were okay--don't know that I really want to have them as a friend
  3. The oh no I must block them before they reach out to me friend
  4. The cyber voyeur I can see them, but they aren't looking at me and they sure as hell ain't a friend
There are high school friends, present job friends, old job friends, friends of friends, family you like, family you don't like---it is exhausting!

I was just able to browse through pictures of a #2 category. We used to work together. She was okay. I got to see her new boyfriend, his weird chain around his neck,their trip to San Francisco and how she looks in a bathing suit. I do a bit of preemptive blocking (category 3) with folks that I see no reason to connect. #4 category is how I was able to look at Spencer and confirm that he is a freak (he had his wall open for all to see), how I found out SOB has a child (what a frickin liar) and how one of my friends knew her employee was bad mouthing her (the dumb bitch posted things on her wall that was open for all to see). As for category #1--if they are a close friend they are already in my life and we don't need Facebook.

Why am I on there anyway?

6 comments:

  1. I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook. On one hand, it is a blessing because I've found old friends that are now back in my life. On the other hand, there are people that I really don't care about that play the stupid games all day and clog up my news feed. I think it may be time to weed some of them out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Polly here. I will say the same thing I said about Match.com....quit now. You are too evolved to let that stuff matter or make you wonder. Keep moving forward. If there are people you want to keep around, just tell them and let the others fall away. (I'd like to stay, of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey P~ it is Tilly. Love the name we picked, hate that I look like a fat poker playin' dike, but it is what it is! I so want to chime in... and do not know how. I want to post a picture next to my Tilly name that I love called "whackeyland"; however, I don't know how.. Please advise. Love you. Mean it, the rest are just freakin' quacks. >:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was having a similar conversation with another "face booker" awhile ago. She stated that she accepts people who ask because she doesn't want them mad at her. Hard for me to understand. If you haven't seen or heard from someone since high school, why should it matter if you ignore a friend request.

    As for me, I found guys (or actually they found me) that I had not seen since my first assignment in the Navy, and was very glad they had found me. In the military, with people coming and going constantly, it is very easy to lose contact, so for that I am grateful to FB. On the other hand, if I didn't like you in high school, and didn't keep in touch on my own, I am not accepting the invite now. I doubt they've changed that much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tilly--you do not look like a (I shall not repeat what you said...)! If you open a gmail account you can post a picture. I can talk you through it. We need to find a good cartoon for you. I will talk to you live about posting your story (only if you want...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tilly will Do~ I will call you on Thursday!

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!