Sunday, July 18, 2010

Tethered to Technology

I bet I don't have to explain that--the visual is enough. Every day I leave the house with my personal iphone, my work Blackberry, my ipod (because I must have 7,000+ songs with me at all times), my work laptop (a PC) not to be confused with the MacBook Pro that is my personal computer that stays home (and where all my blogging magic occurs)....it is exhausting. My friend Polly used the expression, "Tethered to Technology" yesterday and it really stuck. My friend Amy's (known as Big Mama on here) husband calls the Internet the intraweb. Let's put it in context, he wrote, "I hate the intraweb."  It's that same visual of being all tied up in it!

I've said it before and I will say it again--technology is going to be the cause of our demise. I don't want to get all armageddon and stuff. I'm staying away from cyber war and just talking basic manners. People can't have normal conversation anymore. I have friends that don't pick up the phone or make attempts to get together. They prefer random, senseless texting. I just made the decision to leave AT&T and their shitty, drop 1 out of every 5 calls (usually the call to your most important customer) ass behind. I'm going to Verizon. I ordered a new phone--the HTC Incredible (it's on back order because our entire society can't get enough of the latest, greatest). At first I was was frustrated--I wanted my new phone NOW (insert red cheeks and foot stamping). Then I thought about it. Perhaps my crummy AT&T was a blessing. I've had my phone off for most of the weekend. I went to the movies with my sister and my nephew. I've read the paper and books. I've been at one with nature. I was untethered and I didn't spontaneously combust!

4 comments:

  1. I am guilty as charged. If I am without Internet service or my computer goes on the blink for even a couple of days, I get twitchy and bitchy! I suppose I need to detox, but I don't wanna (stamping foot).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is crazy! My daughter who is 11 begs me for a facebook page every day. I will not let her have one. her argument is that all of her friends have one. (she does have a phone, but during the school year her use is very limited on it. It is mostly so I can keep track of her) ....but I really believe that the whole NON communicating (texting, fb'ing) is going to stunt her later. you NEED to know how to deal with people on a face to face basis. Just think how bad it is going to be for people Mad's age in 15-20 years. they are going to be trying to find a perfect mate and have no idea how to have a conversation. let alone talk their way into a job.... UGH....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is great that you just say know to M. being on fb. I love that your hubs can figure the intraweb out! Seriously--the kids will be adults that can function! My friend's 18 year old daughter came home the other night and said, "Facebook is satan!". She is tired of trying to keep up with witty posts, cute pictures, etc. I say UGH too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FB is the bane of my son's existance. I can't get him off the damn thing. I let him on because his friends were, but with the rule that I HAD to be a friend and allowed to see everything on his pages. I keep it up all day at work so I can see what he is doing (more importantly if he is on and should be doing homework, etc). I am addicted. How do I stop???

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!