Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Everything is Okay

I found out today that everything is okay. I had my yearly mammogram a couple of weeks ago and I got the dreaded phone call that they needed to take a closer look with another mammogram and possibly an ultrasound. The nurse from my doctor's office was vague and said there was "something about looking at a lymph node" on the report. I have been sitting on pins and needles waiting for the day to have the repeat mammogram and hear the results. Today I got the call that it was okay.

While I waited, I found that the typical day-to-day bullshit didn't matter to me. I discontinued my personal Facebook account. I steered clear of the drama that is constantly unfolding with my work team. I ignored texts from someone that just didn't get it. It was kinda nice to check out for a couple of weeks. I was lucky. I got the call that everything is okay and to get another mammo the same time next year.

It made me think about my friends that did not get the everything-is-okay call. I can not even imagine what it is like. I would lay down and close my eyes with visions of my lymphatic system in my head. I thought about healthy breast tissue. My mind would race to the "what ifs". I can not fathom what it would be like to be in that constant state of stress.

I'm not sure how to end this post. All I can say is I hope everything is okay for Pam, Angela and LR's sister in law.

4 comments:

  1. These thoughts go through my mind every year, and again every time I hear of a friend that does NOT get that OK call. I'd like to think that I would pick myself up off the ground and fight the fight, but fears of leaving my children behind invade the positive attitude. I'm so glad this story turned out well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that it went well Penelope! I had to have a surgical biopsy six years ago and it absolutely terrified me. My annual mammo scares the heck out of me too and I'm coming up on my appointment in the next couple of weeks. I'm dreading it, but resigned to the fact that it's a part of life now that I'm over 40. I pray that it goes well too. I'm relieved that you got the 'everything's okay' call. I hope I get the 'everything's okay' letter in the mail...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really, really glad you got the "everything is OK" phone call, Penelope!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart is happy for you! Thank you for your thoughts for my sister-in-law. As I was typing this, a beautiful picture of her and I flew across my laptop screen (screensaver) as if to remind me she is ok. :) LR

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!