Sunday, August 22, 2010

Operation Get Rid of Golden Handcuffs™

I have the Monday Morning Blahs---and it is not even 10:00 a.m. on Sunday. That is a
PROBLEM.

I started to think about what I can cut out/do myself/stop wasting $$$ on. I need to put Operation Get Rid of Golden Handcuffs™ in place:
  • Bi-Weekly Mani/Pedi   $110
  • Bi-Weekly House Cleaning $190
  • Bi-Weekly Daisy grooming down to 1X/month  $50
Things that I can't imagine the savings if I cut back, but they are BIG:
  • Go to the library instead of buying every book that interests me
  • Food. Oh the eating out of it all. I know I spend more than 10% of my income (a number that Michael Pollen always quotes for food) on food.
  • Mutha Fuckin Cable (actually it is FiOs, but who cares?). I don't even want to admit what I pay every month for phone, internet and TV. It has 3 digits in it. It pisses me off, but not enough to get rid of HBO.
  • Facials and massages. Okay, now I am feeling a bit panicky. 
If I am conservative in my estimate, I think I could cut back on ~ $750 a month. That is a lot. About 10k/year.

I already started. I did my own toes last night and they look good. I was in control of what was used on my body and I didn't have to listen to Vietnamese or have idle chit chat when in was not in the mood to talk.  I have discontinued my lovely house cleaning guy. I don't have to put up my breakables anymore and my house is always clean. Sulie loves to give Daisy a bath. She actually offers when she is here. It is really easy and it takes less than 10 minutes. I will not take over doing her toenails--Daisy don't play that.


Be Gone!

3 comments:

  1. Way to go! Those are some huge numbers, so I can see why they got your attention. I've lived through times like that and it can be done with a change of mindset.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister put Quicken on my laptop today and I was even more horrified after looking at my spending habits. eek.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big Mama--I hear you. I will trim slowly. and THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!