Monday, August 2, 2010

Fit and Fat™

Have you heard that term on the news or in the magazines? It kinda makes my skin crawl. You know why?--I think I fall into that category. I religiously go to Pilates a few times a week and I have muscle...covered by a protective layer of 10-15 pounds of fat. 

I was always skinny. When I was little my Mom would whip up dresses on the sewing machine for us. When I was 5 years old, my measurements were 20/20/20. I remember wearing pants that were size 0's in high school. Here I am rocking the all white for prom:


Ahh...Jimmy. My first short boy in a list of many (and I like tall guys!). Thank goodness for Ortho-Novum 1/50s!

And more white for my wedding to the Duke when I was 30:

 

Those arms are crazy, creepy skinny. I remember my Mom sitting me down and  telling me I was too skinny. I wasn't even trying to be skinny. I just was. I think I wore a 34 A then...

I gained a bit after I married the Duke. Me at 33. He was so cute. He had a hole in his heart was repaired and he had been in and out of the hospital. I was taking an arterial line out and he kept saying, "No more pokers!, No more pokers!"





I probably have deleted every picture of me during the time John and I dated and were married, so my late 30's and early 40's don't exist in photos. Something happened around 38. I noticed that I had to buy 8's instead of 6's. I traveled constantly for work. I would eat crap food at the airport, drink lots of coke to stay awake and finish the night with crap room service. Forget working out while on the road. I was always too exhausted. A vicious cycle.

So here I am at 45. I can put my legs over my head and do all kinds of rock star Pilates moves but I wear a size that has 2 digits. On the bright side I'm now a 38 D!




I need to find a balance between looking all Auschwitz and Biggest Loser. Okay, that was extreme, but you get what I'm saying. It is weird. I know what I need to do. Cardio. I have an elliptical in my office. It is behind me, mocking me right now. I think there is a fear. What if I lose the 10-15 lbs, and I still don't meet a boy? I think I convince myself that guys are not attracted to me because I now have to buy "L" t-shirts. My rational side knows that is crazy talk, but...it doesn't stop me from thinking it.

I took today off. I am starting a new Penelope routine. I am committing to doing cardio at least 4X/week. I am going to kick Mr. Elliptical's ass!

I must comply now  that I have put this out to the Universe (via the Internet).

3 comments:

  1. My only comment to that is if a guy is attracted to you based solely on your dress size then he's not worth the time. I would be considered "fit and fat" myself but constantly work at it. I don't want to lose weight so I am more attractive to women ... I think I am an ok guy like I am. I want to lose weight for my own purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I grew up a skinny minny. Although my arms never looked that skinny! I've always been muscular, even at my thinnest. Now? Uh, well, you know, I've had two kids (I know not a good excuse). I do work out on my elliptical or walk 4 to 5 days a week. I think there is a happy medium in there somewhere, when the close aren't tight and you feel good, but not starving. I'll keep saying that to myself anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, and please take it the right way, you look MUCH better now than in that wedding dress.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!