Saturday, August 7, 2010

Freegans

Lately I have seen a couple of articles and an Oprah show about Freegans. A Freegan is someone that doesn't participate in conventional lifestyle--I've seen it described as an ethical lifestyle that reuses trash. On Oprah they showed people digging through trash for food. There were people that left 6 digit jobs and have changed the way they live. Don't worry...I didn't just get back from a dumpster dive! It was amazing to see what people threw away. Fruit with a little dent, eggs that were all fine with one cracked, chicken days before the "sell by" date. The list goes on and on. It made me think about what I throw away. I had friends over for dinner the other night. When we were cleaning up, it was interesting to see what they went to save for leftovers, when I was about to toss it all. 

I'm not heading to the dumpster but I am going to think about what I buy and what I throw away. In my freezer right now I have tons of chicken breasts, shrimp and fish. I have recently gone to Publix and bought chicken breasts, shrimp and fish when I already had those items in my freezer. This week I'm going to plan meals around what I already have in my kitchen. I have 5 different varieties of rice, quinoa and pasta. I keep buying more vs. eating what I already have. It is cuckoo!

My next project is stopping with the black shoes...


2 comments:

  1. Agree totally, Penelope. Although we have trash pickup 2x p/week I've convinced my neighbors (to the delight of Charles, my trash pickup guy) that we surely can all get by with 1x p/week. So we make less garbage now and are all fine to put it out 1x only. Also, about all that freezer food, I just added an inventory check to my to do list before grocery shopping.

    At the risk of turning your blog into a recipe swap (so sexy!) Check out this awesome Quinoa recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/herbed-quinoa-recipe/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the recipe and I am happy to swap any kind of info!

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!