Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sulie's Guest Blog

My sister was venting to me tonight. I told her how writing it all down helps. I told her she could be a guest blogger. Here it is:

I have always wanted to be a guest on Penelope’s Blog.  I look so forward to reading it, sometimes I know what Penelope is going to write and other times, I am completely surprised.  She definitely has the writing gene of the family.

For those of you who have been following the blog, you know that I lost my job a month ago.  It has been the most surreal experience of my life.  It ranked right up there with the death of my parents and the death of a boyfriend.  It was a death on so many levels.  There for awhile I thought I was a suck ass accountant, therefore a horrible person.   I thought this even though, I did nothing wrong and the reason I was FIRED was because I stood up to my boss, who was and will always be a spineless, jelly fish (and looks like the little son on Little People, Big World).  See below...


That job had nothing to do with Sulie L. Collins, the person.  That job was a means to an end…paying the bills, taking care of my pets and being able to do things with my friends and Penelope.  That was my first lesson…my job does not define me.  I define me.  The job was killing me anyway.  In the two and a half years I was there, I gain 20 pounds, lost a gall bladder, developed an acne problem and was forced to take Xanax on an almost daily basis to endure the absolute craziness of it all.  I never want to be that person again. 

I had some other lessons too.  I have recently taken a friend inventory.  This seems to happen every time something major happens in my life (and I am sure in others).   You truly realize who your real friends are.  This time, I have had my heart broken by the lack of concern that some of my friends had.  I texted one friend to tell him the news and his reply was that he was sorry and that he had to call me later.  Well, 33 days later...I got nothing.  Another friend said to me after I announced I wanted to crawl into a hole and die, that “Maybe now you will learn to save”.  No one from my department has checked on me, which is ok…they are the unlucky ones who still have to work at that toxic place.  I am their greatest fear.  Then just this past week, another friend defriended me on Facebook because he was weaning himself from it and figured that we communicated in other ways.  That would have been great, but he kept up his activity and kept “friends” who were mean and hateful to him, because it was easier.  I was really hurt and surprised by that.  He was one of the few people I could share my feelings about men, dating and life and feel like he was truly listening.  I know he did not do this to hurt me…it just feels that way.

What about the positive lessons?  There are MANY.  First, Penelope.  We have learned a lot about each other and ourselves in the past month.  We communicate in such a more honest and authentic way.  I know this sounds like an Oprah show, but there were times I would not be completely honest with her because I was afraid of her reaction, but I have found that was no good and not fair.   She has been 100% supportive and given me that pimp slap every now and then when I need it.  Then there is L.  L has talked to me probably every day since this has happened (and before too).  She has listened to me cry, helped me write a letter to the CEO asking for severance (the bitch said no), given me advice on what to say when asked “Are you currently employed?”, and talked me off a ledge when I did not get a call about the job that I had interviewed.  I feel like it has been the all about Sulie show, but L gets that and still wants to be friends with me.  There are the two angels, J&J, who I used to work with who check on me, invite me to lunch, and let me know that I am not a horrible person.  I have many friends like Mandy, Karey, Bob and Jennie who check on me and just listen.  That is the greatest gift.listening.  I know that Penelope has many friends who have asked how I am.  You don’t know how good that makes me feel.  I thank all of you.  

I am doing great…I am waiting to hear about a job, where they have checked my background and talked to one of my references (he said I was CFO material.GOD LOVE HIM!!).  I have applied for many other jobs and sheepishly enjoying my time off.  I have picked up some side accounting jobs to fill in the void of the paychecks.  I am truly a fortunate person.  I know that this was meant to be.  Yes, one door opens as one closes…but you have to keep moving to make those doors move.  So..I keep moving and yes, I do have days when I prefer to stay in bed with Lexie, Max and Harry and then I remember, I have to keep moving.

7 comments:

  1. Big sister nurse did just call Sulie and asked about the Xanax (she clarified that it was the last month on the hell job when she took it). Whew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Sulie. You are too nice of a person and I'm sure a fine accountant. When you are feeling down remember the words of Stuart Smalley "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and darn it people like me".
    gbs

    ReplyDelete
  3. the whole keep moving part...that struck a chord with me. In my biz...well it sucks for me right now. I feel like giving it up and trying something else alot. in one part of my brain I think that this is all I know how to do but Im just not good ENOUGH at it. the other part of my brain tells me to FIND something else. but then my heart speaks and I know doing what you love, even if you aren't at the success level you want to be YET is important to KEEP MOVING....THank you for the keep moving on part~~ amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was totally concerned with your whole story, and really wished I lived in Tampa so I could go out with you and Penelope and have a girl fest. Those are really good for the soul. I just replied in an earlier post about my three categories of people. In the good friends category, I feel that you are lucky to find a handful of these in your life. If you have as many as you listed, I think you are blessed. And to hell with the rest of them. At least you know who they are and that you cannot count on them when the chips are down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big Mama--it is funny. I was thinking of you when I wrote the post about passion. You keep moving forward. All that crap with curb was a bump in the road and slowing down for Jackson The Baby of the Century™ is all part of your journey. People, scroll to the bottom of my blog and check out Amy Dalley! She is also working on a new album.

    Sandy--Sulie and I need to road trip to Orlando!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was actually surprised that Big Mama has those thoughts because I think she is actually very good and it amazes me she hasn't broken through, especially with all the garbage I hear on the radio these days. I think it would be a shame for her to pack it in. There are plenty of stories about people not breaking through for a long time.

    Sulie, you are going to come out on top of this one. I know it. I have to believe that good people get what is due to them in the end, and you are good people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone for your comments. GBS...you are a good soul, Big Mama, never stop moving. You are an amazing talent and I am so happy I have met you. Sandy, I would love to meet you. Penelope and I will definitely plan on it. Sulie

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!