Monday, August 30, 2010

The Big Uneasy

I just got home from seeing The Big Uneasyhttp://www.thebiguneasy.com/




I am speechless. Without words. 

Well...not totally. You all know I lived in Louisiana when I was married and I lived there when Katrina hit. I was fortunate that I was in Lafayette and our home was safe. Only the camp suffered and it more from Rita than Katrina. That didn't matter. It was not our primary housing. The Big Uneasy is running in theaters today only. For those that live on the gulf coast, memories of August 29th, 2005 are kind of like 9/11. Everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing. I was at home with the boys and John was playing golf on Saturday the 27th. I asked him not to go as he left to meet his friends. I got a "Baby, it will be alright, just a little wind." One of the twins was paralyzed with fear all morning as he watched the weather channel. I texted John and asked him to come home. I did not get a response. I then called him on his cell. I calmly told him his boys were scared and only their their father (lower case "f" intended) was going to make them feel safe. He got pissed. He reluctantly agreed to come home.  RED MUTHA FUCKIN FLAG! 

But enough about The Artist Formerly Known as My Husband™. This movie is about courage. Harry Shearer (guy in movie picture above)-- you may know him as the voice(s) on The Simpson's and my cool kat readers will recognize him as one of This Is Spinal Tap guys. "Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?" 

Seriously, Harry Shearer does a great job of making the point that this was a man made disaster. Certainly, the gulf coast was devastated by nature, but what happened in New Orleans could have been prevented. I've watched numerous documentaries on this. I feel like I could point at a map and go through all the breaches on the levees. What really got me about this movie was the courage several people had to come forward and tell the truth. Scientists and Engineers used their own funds and jeopardized (some lost) their jobs to investigate. 

I encourage everyone to watch this movie. 

I was heartbroken to count 9 people in the theater at the 7pm showing in St. Pete. There was probably some Dancing with the Biggest Loser Idol on TV tonight...

2 comments:

  1. I've not heard of this movie...one day? That doesn't give it much of a chance. Word of mouth would probably work well for this one. Trouble the Water was also a good Katrina documentary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was to make a point on the anniversary. This is a good article about it:

    http://www.nola.com/movies/index.ssf/2010/08/funnyman_harry_shearer_gets_se.html

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!