Saturday, September 18, 2010

When the Universe Screams

Since 2005 I have been through countless lay-offs, been laid off, switched jobs before another lay off and now I have a job where it is most likely on the horizon before the end of the year. When I was "impacted by a headcount reduction" (aka fucking laid off) in 2008, I did some deep soul searching. I knew it was a good thing and  vowed I would not go back to the same industry again. I spent my severance period returning to school to finally complete my bachelors degree. A friend called me that was the VP of a small company and asked me if I would like to come on board. I interviewed. I got the job. I was back in biotech. This time I was in medical affairs. I reasoned it wasn't sales. It wasn't so bad. WRONG. It sucked. I worked for crazies in Winnipeg.  I flew all over and lived in Marriotts. I was miserable. Phone rings. It was a friend telling me about a sales position in Tampa. I interviewed I got the job. I reasoned it was a local job. I would be home. I would have life/work balance. I was still in biotech. All the things I hated--being treated with apathy by customers, the cattiness of co-workers, wondering what difference I had made at the end of the day...it was all the same. Now I learn that the  company I work for has been bought and all signs point to lay-offs (note to self: when HR puts out a document outlining severance packages, it is a sign to call recruiters).

When I was laid off from Johnson and Johnson the universe whispered in my ear. When I started working for the next company led by the wackos in Canada, the universe spoke a bit louder. Now the universe is yelling and is getting ready to give me a good smack.



3 comments:

  1. As someone who worked in non-profits for over ten years, I can see you as an executive director in one. You have the passion and caring heart to be a strong advocate for people. You remind me alot of my Executive Director at Healthy Start Tampa. Just a thought. You won't make the same money for sure, but the feeling of truly helping people is something you shouldn't discount, and something I have missed since being where I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you--it's funny, I just sent me resume to a not for profit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with JC Harris. I was going to suggest the same thing to you. Non-profit is not "high paying" but you have the spirit of someone who believes she can make a change in the world for the better.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!