Saturday, December 18, 2010

Conference Calls

Annoy the shit out of me. They are the same no matter what company you work for or who is on the call. Let me break it down:
  • 5 minutes before start time.  Idle chit chat with the leader about the weather and football. I stay muted and think "you are all tools."
  • Call starts--leader does role call. The same losers that are always late are not an the call. The leader asks people to call them and remind them. Wastes 5 more minutes. I stay muted and think "you are all tools."
  • Late losers dial in. Multiple apologies such as, "I was with a customer" and my favorite, " I was on hold with the conference call number." I stay muted and think "you are all tools."
  • Leader repeats the agenda that he or she has sent to you 5 different times. 5 more minutes wasted. I stay muted and think "you are all tools."
  • Call finally starts. There are at least 2 people not muted. You hear, "Welcome to McDonald's. Would you like to try our super pig value meal today?"  and someone having a conversation with their neighbor about the upcoming block party. The leader keeps saying, "can everyone mute their lines?" while you hear the McDonald's cashier say, "That will be 6.51 please." I stay muted and think "you are all tools."
  • The call hoggers (every team has them) butt in constantly and talk about what success they've had. It is usually the same story they told on the call last week. I stay muted and think "you are all tools."
  • I entertain myself by texting the teammates that are part of my circle of trust. When my boss says "Penetrating the market" we write texts like, "He said penetration." I stay muted and think "you are all tools."
  • The call is winding down and I hear a toilet flush and a dog barking. There is silence and then laughter followed by several beeps of people trying to mute their phones. I stay muted and think "you are all tools."
  • The call ends and the leader says, "I will send you a recap." 2 seconds later my email dings with an email recapping the call we just had.  I laugh because they had to have written before the call. I stay muted and think "you are all tools."
  • This usually takes up 60-90 minutes of my time. 



1 comment:

  1. I laughed myself silly over this one. I was on a conference call yesterday and I was so annoyed by the people who sneezed, coughed and blew their noses while clicking those computer keys. The first thing I do when the eerie voice says, "you are now joined to your conference call" is hit the mute button.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!