Friday, December 10, 2010

Law and Dating

Ever watch Law and Order? Imagine this post is written like an episode of the show. After each paragraph hear the noise they use in your head. In case you are not familiar...


On the local police department there are men planning a blind date. These are their stories...

Wednesday afternoon Dec. 1

One of my friends is dating a cop. Last week he asked her if she had any single friends. Apparently one of his co-workers is ready to date after being divorced for a couple of years. She is very creative and put together an email describing 4 of her single friends (no pictures).

Wednesday evening

You guessed it--I was included in the email. Friend and Cop began to plot. Cop decided to narrow it down to the 2 of us that did not have children (blog for another day). It was then narrowed down to me (based on other non-disclosed variables).

Thursday a.m.


Friend calls me to see if I am interested. She tells me he is late 40's, has 3 adult daughters and was married 26 years. His wife left him for another man. Friend says, "I think you guys have the same battle scars." I listen and notice that I am fairly unenthused. I think about out of town liaison guy that will be visiting soon...again, unenthused. It scared me. Do I not care about boys anymore? Have I talked myself out of the whole man/woman thing? I say, "I hope I don't sound shallow, but I would like to have an idea of what he looks like."

Thursday afternoon

Friend forwards me Cop's iphone contact picture for his friend. It is small and hard to see. I realize the Cop never asked for a picture of me. I decide I am being a dick. I told friend that yes I would meet Cop's Friend.

Weekend of Dec. 4 and 5

More strategizing. Friend asks me if I wanted to meet him alone, go to her house, have a "chance" meeting while we are out---there were several scenarios proposed. It was decided we would get together at her house for dinner. As you know, I was at my national bullshit meeting this week. I didn't think about it much until the day came.

Mid-day Thursday Dec. 9


Friend texts me about "date". I find that I am not looking forward to it. Not in a dreading way--in a I could just stay home and eat Clementine oranges while watching The West Wing disc I just got from Netflix.

Thursday Evening


I get to friend's house at 1845. Cop and Cop Friend are due to arrive at 1900 hours. She tells me that Cop told her that he met his friend at Panera earlier today. Apparently Cop Friend was nervous. I find that to be cute. Friend asks if I am nervous as she hands me a beer. We sit on the sofa and talk while we wait. I see a white cop car glide in front of the house (cop was on duty and this was his dinner break). Cop Friend was off duty. My hands began to sweat as I heard the footsteps approach...

To Be Continued...

2 comments:

  1. Ha! It was not meant to be cruel--I needed to get out the door. More soon.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!