Friday, December 24, 2010

When Neurotic Becomes Psychotic

There are times when being a neurotic, everythingmustbeperfect freak gets in the way. Last night for example. I had friends over for dinner and game night. I made gumbo (it is all part of the rehab--like getting my nails done at a Vietnamese place). There I was in the kitchen, sweating my balls off, getting ready to serve the gumbo up. Polly is to my left spooning rice on the plates. I realize in a spastic fit I had thrown away all my soup ladles, spatulas and big spoons a couple of weeks prior. There is high calcium content in the water. They come out of the dishwasher looking disgusting. I've tried vinegar and all the other tricks. I was so grossed out that I just trashed them a couple of weeks ago and thought I'll get more at Target. Note to self: follow through next time. 

As I was spooning up gumbo (with a fucking flat wooden spoon) I noticed there was not much more shrimp, crab or andouille coming up. FUCK. Another note to self: when doing a recipe off the top of your head consider, you are serving 8 people and plan accordingly. It all worked out, but things were a bit tense as I felt sweat trickle down my butt crack as I fished for shrimp with the wooden spoon.

Spellcheck strikes again: butt crack is 2 words.

I just put the finishing touches on the cranberries for Christmas Eve dinner. I used a rubber spatula. I told I friend I felt like Laura Ingalls Wilder must have felt. 

Allow me to share the kick ass Cranberry Goodness Recipe from niece Jackie.

Cranberry Goodness
1 BAG FRESH CRANBERRIES
1 MED. ORANGE, CUT INTO EIGHTHS AND SEEDED (LEAVE PEEL ON)
1 C SUGAR
2 RED JELLOS, ANY FLAVOR
2 C HOT WATER
20 OZ. CAN CRUSHED PINEAPPLE (drain juice)
½ C CHOPPED CELERY
½ C CHOPPED WALNUTS

BLEND 1ST THREE INGREDIENTS AND REFRIGERATE OVERNIGHT.  REFRIDGERATE THE PINEAPPLE ALSO. 
                 
NEXT DAY STIR ALL INGREDIENTS INTO BOWL WITH GELATIN POWDER AND REFRIGERATE.

Reminds me, my older sister who I now shun, used to open Jello packets and just eat the dust. That sums her personality up right there...Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!