Friday, January 15, 2010

HALT

Do you ever decide to go buy yourself a little giftie when you're feeling down? You start browsing in Ann Taylor saying, "I really need work clothes", so you end up buying 2 suits. You work your way down to The Banana and buy a top that's on sale. Then you see Lucky has new sweaters in. Nordstrom for shoes (you decide to get both pair because they are so cute). Sephora has that new perfume you saw in Marie Claire. Of course you parked at Dillards since they have a garage and you have to walk by the purses on the way to the car. It's like one of those haunted houses with tempting buys jumping out at you! I never knew there was so many things I needed!I remember doing that (a lot) right after I moved back to Tampa. I would buy things and then be too tired (emotionally and physically) to hang them up in the closet. I am thinking of this because I decided to organize my closets this weekend. I just pulled out all the things I listed above. I also write this because I have heard from you guys--I know there are many that are reading this right after they have found out their partner was not faithful. It is tempting to go cut your hair and color it (don't do it--it only works in the movies), you think you'll feel better with new cute outfits (you'll just have less money in checking and less room in your closet). If I could do it again, I would spend the money on a massage or a facial. Something for you. I know it is especially tough right now. Figure out what little things you can do for you that work with your budget. You don't need a 10th pair of black heels. Take it from Penelope, she knows. I read a thing about dieting once and I think this would work for what Sulie and I call: Depression Based Shopping. The acronym HALT was given as a mental prompt. Stop and ask yourself, Am I hungry, angry, lonely or tired? I started using it for food and shopping. I think they are both related. I know I was (and occasionally still do) trying to fill a void. With food I ask myself am I really hungry? With clothes I breathe and ask myself if I really need another pair of jeans? It's sad, but I remember my Mom doing the same thing after my Dad died. She could plow through Maas Brothers (that was like Macy's back in the day) with that little piece of plastic. Ironically, she was born during the Depression and she knew what it was like to really go without. I am not blaming my Mom, but I think we learn how to numb the pain from our parents. She believed in retail therapy. I'm going to go back to the closet and pull out more sweater sets that I never wear.  P Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!