Tuesday, January 26, 2010

He's Just Not That Into You

He's Just Not That Into You is on. I have the book both in hardcopy and on my Kindle. I believe I've seen the movie at least 5 times. I truly think it should be required reading for all girls before the age of 15. I could have saved a lot of wasted time analyzing, waiting, and borderline obsessing alone and on the behalf of my friends if I had read the book in 1980. A few of my friends hated the movie. Ironically, they are all single. I could go through a lengthy, flowery synopsis, or I can just cut to the chase--the take home message is this: If the person is interested in you, he or she will do what it takes to be with you.

I've never analyzed if a girl friend was going to call or if they liked me. If they didn't call me I would be all, "whatever, she probably has something going on..." Where do we learn this type of response? I was never a huge obsessor but I've had my episodes of intermittent analyzing. Sulie tells me that is one of my strong points. However, she will remind me of one time I stayed in the fetal position next the phone circa 1986.

I love the beginning of the movie where they show a little boy being mean to a little girl. The girl cries to her Mom and the Mom tells her the fact he is being mean is a sign that he likes her! Which reminds me--due to the wonders of the Internet I connected with a guy I that went to East Elementary with me. I was freakishly tall in elementary school and I was always positioned next to Bob (real name--haven't seen him since 7th grade) in class pictures. I recall punching him and running from him in P.E. He was the kid that was always getting paddled in the front of the class (it was legal back then). So Bad Bob has grown up to be very cute. He wrote me and he said, "my Mom always swore you were my first girlfriend." So the fact that I punched him and watched him get paddled more times than I can count constitutes GF? I am not sure where he lives now or his status. I will report back.

Along with being tall, I was one of the first to sprout boobs. I remember Steve Jordan (real name--I believe he was a bully back then. New rule--bullies get to keep their real name) running after me with a hat pin (he happened to have one in his pocket in the 5th grade) telling me he was going to "pop the air out of those balloons." Just did a quick Facebook search--no Steve Jordan on there. Probably because you can't access Facebook from the pen. I did find Dwayne Cooley who told me all about sex on the bus when I was in the 4th grade. It shattered my world. I just knew my Mom NEVER did what Dwayne described in the back of bus #65 with Miss Dottie driving. I've also found Jack King. We went to the 7th grade dance together. My older sister taught me hold to slow dance in a way that you stuck your butt out which pulled your pelvis away so I would not have to feel his hard-on. Important lessons for a 7th grader. Still not sure where I (and all my girl friends) learned to analyze and wonder about a guy that acts tepid at best.

4 comments:

  1. I love your blog...keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you--I am! I didn't realize I had so much stuff to babble about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it as simple as you always want what you can't have? Sometimes the most perplexing things are the easiest to explain. It's like when we say "yeah they are rough around the edges ... but I can CHANGE them". No. You Can't. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent point there JCH. I've been that "but I love him and it will get better girl" (in the past). it is my hope that I (and my friends) have learned that doesn't happen. You are correct--the only thing we can change is ourselves (and even that is really hard).

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!