Friday, January 1, 2010

Laughing at pain

I went to lunch today with 2 friends from college. One told me that she felt bad for laughing at some of things I wrote about (because it was all so gruesome). I told her laughing is fine. That is the point. 2 years ago I thought I would never recover. There were days I could barely lift my head from the pillow (envision Carrie after Big leaves her at altar. In Mexico, staying in bed all day--I totally got that). The Penelope from October of 2007 doesn't exist. She is gone. I am here and now. All that stuff is the past. I used to toss and turn and relive that night and wonder why?why? why? It's all gone. I used to be an oncology nurse. I was so intrigued how many of the breast cancer patients would tell me about really dysfunctional marriages, cheating husbands and physical abuse. I think all the hurt came out in a physical manifestation. I am not blaming the patients. I am making the point that the mind is an amazing thing!

I truly believe I had a choice. I could stay stuck in 2007 and keep tying to "hurry up, go back and fix it" like my therapist says. We've all been there--you replay a fight in your head. The heart rate goes up, the chest tightens, the fists clench. Think what is happening at a cellular level in your body.

So, moral to the story... Don't feel bad if you laugh out loud at my stories. I want you to laugh and to know that we can all move past ManGroomer™ and Vienna Sausages.

Henry Miller said the best way to get over a woman is to turn her into literature."

3 comments:

  1. It's the other friend from college who hadn't yet read THE blog. I've read the entire thing now, voted a few times, laughed, paused, reflected...

    and George really could fix headaches, it was amazing.

    (and the counter was in the 1400s and now it's past 1600)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - and peopleofwalmart.com is one of my favorite sites too. I still don't know if I think it's funny or sad, but I can't stop.

    - L

    ReplyDelete
  3. L-it was so good to see you guys today. I came home and slept a few hours and the headache is finally gone. I was thinking of sending the link to George. He went to my wedding to husband #1 (I am so Liz Taylor). Come to think of it, I may send to the link to husband #1 (better known as the Duke of Narcisse).

    I know the counter thing is crazy...

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!