Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sliding Doors

Sliding Doors is one of my favorite movies of all time. It was not that popular. I love the premise though. The idea is how a simple shift in choice (this was the matter of missing a door to get into the tube in London) can totally change the direction of your life. I got home just now and flipped on the TV. I saw a Hooter's commercial. When I was 19, I got a job at Hooter's in Tampa. I worked there 1 day and knew it was not for me. I can't stand bull shit and I knew I could not hula hoop and be fake to guys for money. What if I had stayed? Maybe I would have advanced my Hooterificness and gotten a boob job and met a really great rich football player and we'd be married with 4 kids. Nah.

What if...
  • I had not skipped geography so much in 10th grade so I could be with my boyfriend? I would do much better playing Jeopardy.
  • I had not pierced by right ear 3 times in the 11th grade? That shit still pisses me off that I have 3 holes in my ear.
  • I had gotten a tramp stamp in the early 90s? I shudder at the thought.
  • I had gotten pregnant with John? (we actually talked about trying, it was my idea that he get snipped). I would be eternally connected to him and a child would be in the middle of major dysfunction. Missed that bullet.
  • I had not quit flute lessons in the 5th grade? Then I could say I play an instrument!
  • I hadn't read the infamous text?...would I still be married to John? Probably not. I think that lesson would have kept presenting itself.
  • I had saved all my record albums from the 70s and 80s...?
  • I did cardio 5 times a week? No, I'd feel better and I would have to get all my clothes altered. What a hassle.
  • I paid attention when my Mom tried to teach me how to knit? I was be so cool now.
  • I had gone to art school like I originally intended instead of nursing school?
  • I had stayed in Boulder in my younger days? I would still be a waitress, but I would be a kick ass skier.
  • I had trusted my gut? Every time? The possibilities are endless.

3 comments:

  1. I do that "What if..." exercise alot. Probably because, as Betty put it this morning, I am old (LOL).
    • I wonder if I had stayed in my band at 17 instead of being dared into joining the Navy where that would have taken me (remind me to tell you about the date I had with Joan Jett when I was 16!).
    • Or if instead of the Navy I had found out about the Grants and Loans available to lower class kids like me and went to college.
    • Or if I had not gotten hurt and lost my scholarship to Florida in 1980 if football would have been a road out for me.
    • Or if I had just done my 4 years and not been lulled into a sense of security (and a $15k signing bonus) to re-enlist for 6 years.
    • Or had seen Joy for what she was (a female assclown) and not married her, which would have saved 21 years of heartache
    • Or if I had taken care of the small goiter that had formed in 1988 which became cancer in 1992 and caused almost 100 pound weight gain which I still struggle to get off

    Now I’m depressed :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my...you got me beat. I believe I will have to counsel you offline on this one. Did you do it with Joan?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL .... no. The Runaways were playing at the American Room in DeLand and they needed an opening band and we were selected to do it. We were all the same age so it worked (Joan was 16 at the time, as was I. Lita Ford was the oldest and she was 18). She and the drummer (Sandy West - just passed away from Breast Cancer last year) double dated me and my drummer. We went to see "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band". Got a kiss but that was it. Probably what turned her into a lesbian! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I moderate the comments--if you just want the comment for my eyes only let me know. Also, there is a drop down and you can select "anonymous." Thanks!